Tax and Companies House Deferrals
As part of its measures to reduce the economic impact of the Coronavirus crisis, the Government has announced deferrals to a number of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and Companies House deadlines to ease the strain on businesses and self-employed individuals.
VAT payments have been deferred by three months from 20 March 2020 until 30 June 2020. During this period, businesses will not need to make VAT payments to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). However, businesses should continue to report VAT as usual.
Businesses will have until the end of the 2021 tax year to pay any liabilities that have accumulated during this period. The deferral is automatic and businesses do not need to apply to be able to benefit from it.
However, you must cancel the direct debit manually with your bank immediately to make use of this deferment.
VAT refunds and reclaims will be paid by the Government as normal.
Income Tax Self-Assessment payments due on 31 July 2020 will be deferred until 31 January 2021.
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has confirmed that all self-assessment taxpayers can benefit from an extension to the July payment date and not just the self-employed.
HMRC updated guidance on the July payments on account deferral to make it clear that it applies to all self-assessment tax payers, which means that anyone due to submit a self-assessment income tax payment on July 31 now has until January 31, 2021 – including those with rental and investment income.
This deferment is an automatic offer and it is not necessary to apply to benefit from it, but it is intended for those experiencing hardship as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.
HMRC is urging that anyone who is still able to pay their second self-assessment payment by the July deadline should still do so if they can.
No penalties or interest for late payment will be charged during the deferral period.
Time to Pay (TTP) Arrangements
HMRC is making TTP arrangements available to any business that can show that all other avenues for financing have been exhausted.
For further guidance on TTP can be found on our COVID-19 Business Support Hub by clicking here.
- Access to European Union VAT refund system to end on 31 March 2021, HMRC confirms
- Brexit: How to claim grant funding to help cover the costs of completing new customs declarations
- Companies House to scrap paper reminder letters
- Third round of Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) opens on Monday with tighter eligibility criteria
- Important deadlines approach for the furlough scheme
- Spending Review highlights long-term economic impact of Coronavirus pandemic
- The New COVID-19 Tier System
- VAT after the Brexit transition
- IFS predicts tax rises of more than £40 billion a year by the middle of the decade
- More than 50,000 people claim working from home tax relief through HM Revenue & Customs online portal
- HMRC called on to simplify the administration of tax reliefs
- A quarter of businesses don’t think they will be ready for post-Brexit Britain
- HMRC warns taxpayers still aren’t ready for Making Tax Digita
- Homebuyers need to start purchases this month to take advantage of Stamp Duty savings
- Daily penalties waived for Self-Assessment late filing
- Furlough scheme update – Publication of claims and employees serving notice
- Extended Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme FAQ
- Government extends furlough scheme and provides a boost to SEISS
- Government extends further help to businesses and the self-employed during national lockdown
- National Lockdown – Extension to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and Business Support Update
- Government extends further support to businesses affected by COVID-19
- HM Revenue & Customs publishes further details of the Job Support Scheme
- Annual Investment Allowance – Time is running out
- Accounting for mobile phone use
- Time to prepare (once again) for the VAT reverse charge
- Is the Government considering a National Living Wage freeze?
- Companies House reforms to combat fraud and assist businesses
- Price of plastic bags in England to double to 10p
- New Coronavirus regulations place self-isolation obligations on employers
- Latest SEISS grants introduce new qualifying conditions
- Businesses may be entitled to insurance pay-out after important judgment
- Chancellor expands Job Support Scheme and grants to businesses facing new COVID-19 restrictions
- Government issues new guidance on the Job Retention Bonus
- Download the Government’s guide to the Job Support Scheme
- Important message to clients and friends: We are working remotely on recommendation from the PM, please read the following update
- Chancellor announces new Job Support Scheme and package of business support measures
- Change to Companies House bank detailsanies House bank details
- More than £1 billion in tax reliefs for creative industry
- Advisory Fuel Rates for next quarter come into effect
- Key dates for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- The first Child Trust Funds (CTFs) can now be claimed
- Four in five SMEs are confident over their Coronavirus recovery
- HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) writes to 3,000 employers over furlough claims
- Government to launch new local lockdown grants
- CBILS ends on 30th September 2020
- How will you rebuild and recover? Funding launched to cover cost of professional advice
- Tax changes outlined in draft Finance Bill 2020 – 2021
- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme expanded to more businesses
- VAT treatment of imported goods up to £135 to change under new rules
- HM Revenue & Customs publishes Job Retention Bonus guidance
- Small business Covid recovery boosted by £20million in new grants
- HM Revenue & Customs sets out Making Tax Digital plans for VAT and Income Tax
- HM Revenue & Customs sets out details of penalties for breaches of furlough and self-employment scheme rules
- Reminder: VAT payment deferral period has ended
- Banks list top 10 Coronavirus scams
- HM Revenue & Customs issues ‘nudge’ letters to people suspected of having undeclared overseas assets
- Second round of Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) opens on Monday
- Key dates for Coronavirus support schemes, tax and Companies House
- Government extends childcare funding for families affected by the pandemic
- Green Homes Grant guidance published
- Eat Out to Help Out opens for claims
- Key dates for Coronavirus support schemes
- Eat out to help out
- New legislation introduced to protect redundancy pay of furloughed workers
- Seven tips to get start-ups off the ground
- Government confirms Coronavirus tax concessions in amended Finance Bill
- Future Fund expanded to more businesses
- Research finds lack of knowledge, information and skills are key barriers to Making Tax Digital compliance
- New corporate insolvency rules come into effect
- £84 billion of R&D tax credits unclaimed – Could you be eligible for a share of this funding?
- Government confirms Job Retention Bonus of £1,000
- Upcoming key dates for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- Paying for COVID-19: Government begins exploring tax take back
- Government confirms the next steps for the digitisation of taxation
- Government publishes detailed guidance on SDLT holiday
- HM Revenue & Customs confirms first arrest in connection with furlough fraud
- Reminder: Deferral of second payment on account
- HM Revenue & HM Revenue & Customs updates Self-Employment Income Support Scheme guidanceCustoms updates Self-Employment Income Support Scheme guidance
- Coronavirus apprenticeships guidance updated
- Download our updated Coronavirus Support grids
- Details of ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ scheme confirmed
- Guidance on hospitality and tourism VAT cut published
- Summer Economic Update
- Don’t forget to make an SEISS claim by 13 July!
- HMRC offers clarity on usual hours calculation for flexible furlough
- Coronavirus grants to businesses, employers and individuals are taxable
- Guidance published on repaying Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme overpayments
- Key dates for Coronavirus support schemes
- Government publishes new ‘Covid Secure’ guidance
- Remember to reinstate your VAT direct debit in time for your next payment
- HM Revenue & Customs clarifies repayments of Corporation Tax and anticipated losses
- Employers given 30 days to confess to furlough fraud
- RE OPENING…GET ON YOUR BLOCKS!
- Download our Coronavirus support for business timeline
- Managing Cash
- Helpful steps to improve credit control
- Top tips for improving profit
- Are you taking your business online? – Six steps to effective pricing
- HM Revenue & Customs publishes detailed guidance on calculating furlough claims from July onwards
- Further clarification issued on eligibility for second round of Self-Employment Income Support Scheme